Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Kitchen Makeover!

I have spent the last three days re-doing our kitchen cabinets. We have already painted our kitchen, and added a backsplash, but this was the biggest project yet. I did almost all of it on my own, and I'm so happy with how it turned out!!!
This was before everything:















After many hours of hard work:















Before:















After:















Before:















Our family wall (that still needs a just a few more photos added):















I totaled the time I spent painting, and it was over 10.5 hours over 3 days. It was exhausting and my sinuses are still protesting from the chaos. Mike snapped a pic of me hard at work in the sun-room. We had cabinet doors set up everywhere on our main floor so I could paint:















The process was this:
1) Remove all doors and drawers and take off hardware.
2) Degloss and scrub every surface.
3) Paint base coat on every surface, and repeat for second coat.
4) Glaze is optional (which I did) and allow to dry.
5) Top coat (that protects cabinets and gives it a subtle sheen) and allow to dry.
6) Re-attach all hardware and hang doors and put drawers back.

Whew! This is the dramatic change (before I even glazed and put on the top coat) See how badly it needed it!?















We only had a couple set backs. One was a case of curious little feet:





































Other than this minor mishap, everything went smoothly. I am proud of my sweat and hard work! I think it looks great! Very warm and inviting.

2 comments:

Kat @ The Midwest Momma said...

SARAH. I MEAN REALLY!!!!! I am just dying at the change. It looks AMAZING. I am soooo proud of you (LOL Like you care how proud I am!)!! I love love love your backsplash. I am just at a loss for words. A++++++ WOMAN!!!

Tate Family said...

Sara!! I am so impressed!!!! wowza