Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pride

Natalie was messing around with my headband this morning, and I reminded her (a couple times) to stop because it could break. When she woke up from her nap this afternoon, I was fixing her a snack in the kitchen when she comes in to tell me:

Natalie: (staring at the floor and using a tiny voice) Monnie, I did something bad...
Me: What happened?
Natalie: I did something bad. I'm sorry, Monnie. Come here, (grabs my hand) I'll show you.

She takes me into the living room, where I can clearly see my headband in two pieces on the sofa. She explains she was playing with it again, and it broke. She is so upset with herself about this, there is nothing I can say. The lesson has already been learned. So I sit down, scoop her up in my arms and praise her for telling me right away and being honest! I told her can always get another headband, but she needs to remember not to play with them from now on. (Which I guarantee you, will not be a problem!)

Even after praising her, she was still upset with herself. She asked me twice if I could get another headband just like that one. She wasn't happy until I assured her it would be made right.

I am proud of her. Yes, she made a mistake, but what kid wants to confess their mistake and risk getting in trouble? Yet she didn't hesitate at all in telling me the truth. Natalie is honest to the core, and I adore that about her.

No comments: