Friday, September 24, 2010

Interesting Phone Call

When Natalie was born, we donated her cord blood. It was something I hadn't even thought of until my OB encouraged us (while I was in labor) to go ahead and do it. It didn't cost a thing, the blood bank paid for everything. ***Cord blood contains adult stem cells, which can be used for a stem cell transplant for someone with a severe illness. In many cases, it can cure them of their disease. ***

Fast forward 4 years.

Someone from the cord blood bank called to ask about Natalie's current health because her cord blood was a match (and being considered) for another child with leukemia. I was happy to share Natalie is a very healthy little girl, and glad our decision could potentially save a life.

As I hung up the phone, I was overwhelmed just thinking about what it might be like to have a child with leukemia...or any disease. I have prayed for them many times today. My heart goes out to them, wherever they are, and I hope they find their cure.

No comments: